Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Machining processes

Teaching engineering English is a frustrating job for me because all too often I feel incompetent and it weakens my position as a language expert. For example, when we started a series of lessons on machining operations, I could hardly understand the difference between a milling machine (= frezarka) and a lathe (= tokarka) in Polish, so how could I teach it in English with any confidence?

Well, I try not to compete with you and always take your questions and doubts seriously. But sometimes I'm right. For example, Paweł and Sylwester disagreed with my definition of sanding (= szlifowanie) that is connected with the use of sandpaper to make surfaces smoother and suggested that it's actually a technology for cleaning buildings with a stream of sand (something you've seen at the ZAMEK Culture Centre in Poznań). In fact, the technique Paweł and Sylwester were talking about is called sandblasting (or abrasive blasting).

By the way, here's a definition for shearing which I can't translate into Polish. What the hell is it? Can anyone have a look?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should try with "sztancowanie".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that shearing it is cutting especially sheets of metal using die (matryca) and punch (stempel). The simple process of shearing we have in scissors to sheet metal. Using this tool we can cut (or rather shear) sheet metal, but we don't have chips (like during sawing for example). There is no kerf in shearing. It is cutting by applying presser to die and punch.

    ReplyDelete

Followers